8 Signs Your Heater Needs to be Replaced this Year
Heaters don’t last forever. It’s important for your health and well-being to get a replacement as soon as yours becomes dysfunctional. There are some signs of a heater needing replacement to look out for so you don’t get a nasty surprise.
- Higher utilities bill – As furnaces and other heating implements are used for longer amounts of time, they lose efficiency, up until the point they break.
- Odd noises – Over time, your heating system may start to make noises, but a properly running HVAC system should run quietly. Depending on the noise, a variety of things could be out of place such as a failing motor or a compressor in need of replacement.
- Carbon monoxide leaks – If people in your home have been inexplicably suffering from chest pains, drowsiness, headaches, and flu-like symptoms, then your heater may be slowly poisoning you with carbon monoxide gas.
- Yellow pilot light – A properly functioning pilot light should burn blue, and a yellow light is indicative of a weakening flame, which will make it harder and more expensive to heat your home.
- Frequent repairs – Maintenance and repairs are to be expected. But if you’re ever having to spend more than 50% of what it would cost to get a replacement, then you are likely better off just spending the extra to get something that will work.
- Malfunctioning thermostat – Whenever thermostats repeatedly misrepresent your home’s temperature or seem to not turn the heater on, then there could be damage to sensors or the heater could be short cycling.
- Age – Most furnaces last 15-20 years, less if yours is oil-powered, as a rule of thumb for anticipating replacements.
- Weaker heating power – If you’re having trouble heating your home and that never used to be a problem, then something is wrong. You need to call a professional to identify the exact problem and check for potential repairs or a full replacement.
No single sign from the above list is a surefire way to predict when your heater will break, but noticing one or multiple of them would be cause for concern. Getting a trusted professional to look everything over is also a good idea whenever you notice multiple signs from this list.
If you want any help checking or replacing your heater, call 623-853-1482 to get in touch with A Quality. We’ve been helping keep Phoenix and Goodyear homes safe and warm for decades!