Do I Really Need Yearly Furnace Maintenance?
You don’t absolutely need yearly furnace maintenance, but don’t be lulled into a sense of security. It’s tempting to skip out on things which aren’t immediately necessary, whether that’s getting a teeth cleaning at a dentist, getting your car’s oil changed, or checking your furnace. But the benefits of doing your due diligence are big when we’re talking about your house.
Benefits of Yearly Furnace Maintenance
- Reduce the chance of house fires – maintenance isn’t going to totally prevent fires, but it will make the less likely
- Decrease the expense of repairs – catch small fixes before the become big issues can save a lot
- Potentially reduce energy costs – checking for leaks, low pressure, etc. has a chance of making your unit more efficient, which might mean a lower energy bill
- Increase furnace longevity – just like regular exercise, regular maintenance will help the body of the furnace last longer
What Happens During Furnace Maintenance?
A good HVAC pro will make you feel like you paid too much. It’s true! Someone with the knowledge and experience will charge like they mean business and also not spend unnecessary time at your house after making an efficient inspection of your furnace. But the best pros won’t just go in-and-out, but will actually walk through the steps of the check with you if you’re interested. At the minimum, they should:
- Check for blockages in the venting
- Check all safety-switches and sensors
- Inspect the burner assembly (ignitor, thermocouple, etc.) for capacity and cleanliness
- Confirm gas pressure
- Measure airflow after doing a temperature rise
- Check for corrosion in wiring and body
- Clean and inspect drainage system
- Conduct a combustion analysis (makes sure you won’t be poisoned by carbon monoxide)
Your technician will almost certainly do more than what is on the above list, but just make sure you are receiving at least this minimum of care. You could conduct these tests yourself, theoretically, but the amount of tools and training you would need to do it right is prohibitive for the majority of DIYers. So you should get a pro you can trust.
And you don’t need to worry about reliable HVAC help! Because you can call over an A Quality professional. If you’re in the Greater Phoenix area, call 623-853-1482 any time day or night and A Quality will come.