How to Master AC Mold Removal
Is your fresh, cold air a little…stinky? A mildew-type odor is the first sign you may be dealing with a moldy AC unit.
Now, even if you are able to get over the smell (unlikely!), there can be some serious health risks that come along with inhaling small mold particles. But don’t worry, A Quality has you covered! Grab a face mask, your chosen mold cleaner and some dish soap and follow these steps!
Becoming A Mold Removing Master
- Don your safety materials; gloves, face mask and goggles or some sort of protection for your eyes.
- Turn off, unplug and remove your AC unit. Move it outside or somewhere open and ventilated to clean. Remember, the part of the unit that sits outside your window is waterproof but the controls on the front are not.
- Once you have the unit situated outside, pull off the grille cover to locate the air filter and remove it. Take a look inside. If mold covers more than 30% of the unit, you’ll have to ditch it and give us a call to replace it for you. If it hasn’t yet taken over, you can proceed with the steps below.
- If your filter is reusable, you can soak it in a mixture of warm water, dish soap and your mold cleaner for 15-20 minutes.
- After letting it soak, take a scrub brush to both sides of the filter and hang it to dry.
- Next, you’ll need to locate a screwdriver and remove the metal cover immediately beneath the grille.
- Grab your vacuum and carefully suck out any debris left in the unit. If there is any visible mold, wipe it away with a sponge.
- Next, generously spray your mold cleaner all over the unit, including the pieces you removed. Let it sit for 10 minutes before scrubbing thoroughly and rinsing.
After you finish cleaning, leave it to dry for at least 24 hours before re-assembling.
Our AC replacement experts in the Greater Phoenix area have the knowledge and skill needed to guide you through the entire air conditioning replacement service process. From selecting products and services to installing your new AC unit, we are here for you, proudly serving Avondale, Buckeye, Glendale, Goodyear, Peoria, Phoenix, Waddell, Scottsdale, and Surprise, Arizona.